This blog post is meant to document how I solved an error while trying to import KPI’s to Performance Point 2010 Dashboard Designer from SSAS 2012 Multidimensional cube. The error said “An unexpected error occurred.. details have been logged for your administrator”. Here are the details:
1) few days back, I had solved the error listed here: “An unexpected system error occured…” – While trying to establish a Data Connection in Performance Point 2010 Dashboard Designer - And after I had solved this error, I got another error and this time it was about importing KPI’s in the Dashboard Designer. Here’s how I was able to solve it:
2) So to view the error I used the SPTraceVIew Tool
3) And via SPTraceVIew, I was able to see the message:
An unexpected error occurred. Error 47205.
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.AnalysisServices, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91′ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: ‘Microsoft.AnalysisServices, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91′
at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.Server.ImportExportHelper.GetImportableAsKpis(DataSource asDataSource)
at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.Server.PmServer.GetImportableAsKpis(DataSource dataSource)
4) I checked that the Microsoft.AnalyisServices dll was present at c:/windows/assembly
5) What I didn’t realize was that the version number was different. The version that I had on my machine was 11 while the message clearly mentioned that it required 10. Thanks to this tip here: Creating scorecard error
6) So I followed the instructions that was on the MSDN forum thread and installed the AMO with version 10 via “Microsoft SQL Serer 2008 feature pack, April 2009″
7) And after installing the version 10 of the AMO, I was able to import KPI’s from SSAS 2012 multidimensional cube!